Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wild Alaskan Halibut with Zucchini, Tomato and Onion


On a typical day, lunch for me consists of little nibbles of whatever I'm making my kids for lunch, or maybe some leftovers. The other day, however, I was wanting a real grown-up lunch, especially since our schedule that evening was going to make a real grown-up dinner impossible. The other prompter was the excess zucchini in my crisper drawer. This healthy lunch turned out quite delicious, and took hardly any time to cook and only one pan to wash. I happened to have some cooked brown rice in the freezer and I even used the fish straight from the freezer, cutting off a portion the right size for me, no thawing necessary.

Halibut with Zucchini, Tomato, and Onion
Serves 1

one small onion
one small zucchini
two or three tomatoes
chopped fresh herbs (I used oregano and basil)
small halibut filet, enough for one serving, cut into large, bite-sized pieces
salt and pepper

Heat a non-stick frying pan with some olive oil. While the pan is heating, coarsely chop the onion and place it into the pan and sprinkle with salt. While the onion is cooking, cut a small zucchini lengthwise and then slice into bite-size pieces. Add the zucchini to the pan, add salt and pepper and saute with the onions until they start to get soft. Coarsely chop the tomatoes and add to the pan and simmer until tomatoes start to break down. Salt and pepper the fish and add it and the herbs to the pan. Add a little water if the pan is too dry so that fish can poach in the liquid. Simmer until the fish is done a breaks apart easily with a fork. Serve with crusty bread or over brown rice if desired.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous! I ate a soggy ham and cheese from the bottom of our cooler!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin