Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Dandelion - Weed or Delicacy?



Once in a while, "our organic farmer" will throw into the box something unusual that will usually sit in the refrigerator way too long before I send it out to the compost.  It used to be beets or Swiss chard, but now these are some of my very favorite foods. This time, it was fresh spring dandelion greens - the common "weed".  I usually make this salad with mesclun and/or arugula but I was out of those and the big bag of dandelions sitting in my refrigerator for almost too long beckoned. It was surprisingly good!  I've done a little research on this weed and found that it is a very nutritious and detoxifying food.  Could it be that I will anticipate the dandelion harvest each spring from now on?

Dandelion Beet Salad

dandelion Greens or any flavorful greens such as mesclun/arugula
cooked beets
blue cheese, goat cheese or feta cheese
walnuts, lightly toasted
salt and pepper
olive oil or walnut oil
champagne or balsamic vinegar



1 comment:

  1. I'm picturing a piece of grilled salmon on top for dinner!!! Thanks for coffee, I'm more of a summer entertainer, so my time is coming!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin