Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pizza with Grilled Vegetables



Could my search for the best homemade pizza dough be over? The kids said this was the best yet - and to me, kid approval is one of the greatest compliments you can receive as they are a mom's toughest critics!


I started the dough the day before, mixing and kneading and chilling the dough in the fridge overnight. Last night, I got the dough out 2 hours prior to cooking time and let it warm up a bit. I heated the oven to 500, with a pizza stone on the bottom rack, 45 minutes prior cooking time. I turned on the gas grill and prepared my vegetables...red peppers (placed on the grill whole), zucchini slices, red onion slices, and portobello mushrooms. I brushed everything (except the red peppers) with olive oil and sprinkled them with salt and pepper and grilled them for about 10 minutes. With the grilled vegetables, some homemade sauce I had taken from the freezer (basil pesto would be awesome too!), and some shredded mozzarella, I was ready!


Shape the dough, pile on the toppings, and bake! Dining al fresco with a glass of zinfandel on the side and you've got yourself a perfectly delicious and healthy summer meal. More difficult than taking diGiornio out of the freezer but the taste and wholesomeness cannot compare! You've got to try making your own!


For Peter Reinhart's Napoletana dough recipe from American Pie, click here.

For the sauce recipe, see below...


Pizza Sauce

28 oz can crushed tomatoes

2 T red wine vinegar

salt and pepper, to taste

1 tsp dried oregano

3 garlic cloves (or more to taste), minced


Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. It's that simple!

3 comments:

  1. I live close enough!!!!.....I can bring the wine.......I just don't think I could re-create that in my own kitchen!!!....how blessed your family is to have you cooking for them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .....Wait!!! I have it!!!!...let's have a progressive dinner party some night!!!!....we'll just stop at everyones house for a different course!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in for the progressive, I'm not usually organized enough to make a dinner that starts the night before.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin