Monday, August 18, 2008

Fresh Plum Frangipane Tart

I've picked more plums from our friends' tree and I'm trying hard to use them all. I recently attempted a plum jam but was disappointed when it didn't set up all that well and it didn't bring out the plum flavor as I had hoped. I even acquired a food dehydrator in an attempt to make dried plums. They turned out alright, but were a little sour and I have no idea how I will use them. Then, when we made plans to have some friends and their three girls to our house for dinner, I saw it as an opportunity to try another plum recipe, a little fussier this time but not at all difficult - and I was not disappointed! This is one yummy tart - especially if you like almond flavor like I do. I'd heard of this frangipane before, and knew I'd like it right along with marzipan, but I'd never made anything with it. My only complaint - it only used about a half dozen plums - didn't even make a dent in the box! If you don't hear from me in a few days, it's because I'm canning plums!



I had most of the ingredients on hand and got started just after lunch. I made the crust dough and placed it in the freezer to hurry things along. I made the frangipane and chilled it until I was ready to assemble the tart. I sliced the tiny plums into wedges which was the most tedious part because the plums were small and they clung to the pit and were a bit soft for making good-looking wedges. Putting the tart together was easy and I pulled the tart out of the oven just as our guests were arriving. I used the plum "syrup" I made earlier in the week to glaze the tart. The photo below doesn't do it justice because the lighting wasn't quite right, but the plums got soft and sweet in the oven and the crust was a bit crunchy like shortbread. And the frangipane - pure heaven!






fresh plum frangipane tart
Bon App├ętit June 1997
Makes 8 Servings.

almond crust:

Makes One 9-inch Crust

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds (about 2 ounces)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 teaspoon almond extract (I used less)
2 tablespoons (about) ice water

Blend flour, almonds, sugar and salt in a food processor until nuts are finely ground. Add butter and pulse food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in almond extract and enough water to form moist clumps. Knead dough briefly to combine, flatten into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 2 hours or up to one day.

Filling:
1 cup slivered blanched almonds
1/3 cup sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon dark rum (I omitted)
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
5 large plums, halved and pitted, then sliced

Blend all ingredients except plums in a food processor until almonds are finely ground.

Glaze:
2 tablespoons apricot jam (I used plum syrup)
2 teaspoons brandy (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll out crust dough on lightly floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer dough to 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Gently press dough into tart pan; trim excess. Freeze crust 15 minutes.

Place tart pan on baking sheet. Bake crust 10 minutes; pierce with toothpick if crust bubbles. Continue to bake until crust is pale golden, about 12 minutes. Cool crust on baking sheet 15 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.

Spread frangipane filling in prepared crust. Place plum slices on top of frangipane, pressing gently to anchor.

Bake tart on baking sheet until frangipane is puffed and golden and plums are tender, about 30 minutes.

For glaze, bring jam and brandy to a boil in a small saucepan. Brush glaze over warm tart. Remove sides of tart pan and cut into wedges to serve.

1 comment:

  1. What!?!....I've never even heard of Frangipane!!!!!!!!...you truly never cease to amaze me!!!!!....if I were to taste it I know I would be in heaven!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin