Friday, December 19, 2008

Ellen's Favorite Butter Toffee


Ok girls, I know a few of you tried the caramels I posted a few weeks ago. Well here's a chance to try out that candy thermometer again. These are Ellen's absolute favorite thing that I make at Christmastime. I make at least two double batches and give some to all the kids' teachers and to friends and family. The recipe is an old one that my mom got from an elderly friend. If I were one to keep a secret recipe, this would be it, but I hate it when people keep recipes a secret. If you've got a good recipe, you've got to share it - so what if someone has the gumption to sell the stuff and make millions, you could've too! So since I'm not planning to make toffee commercially, I'm sharing this special one with you. I think the toffee is a lot tastier that caramels and easier to chew. To make these you will need:

a candy thermometer
a jelly roll pan (rimmed cookie sheet), and another cookie sheet for flipping
a silpat mat or parchment paper

Butter Toffee
from a friend of Mom's, looks like it came out of an old newspaper

1 cup butter
5 T water
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
approx 1 cup ground almonds
approx 1 1/2 giant Hershey milk chocolate bars, melted in the microwave

Line a jelly roll pan with parchment or Silpat liner. Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan. Add sugar, salt, and water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Heat to boiling and cook to 310 degrees on a candy thermometer, stirring constantly. Working quickly, carefully pour the toffee onto the sheet pan, spreading the candy out slightly with a silicone spatula. The liquid does not need to be spread to the edges of the pan, just spread out a little so that it's not too thick. Allow it to cool for a minute or two and spread 1/2 of the melted chocolate on top of the toffee. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the almonds before the chocolate has a chance to cool. Place the pan in a cool place (the cold garage is my cool place) and let cool about 15 minutes. Place another cookie sheet on top of the toffee and invert the toffee onto the second cookie sheet. Spread melted chocolate on the other side of the toffee and sprinkle with remaining almonds. Allow to cool completely. Break into pieces with you fingers.

2 comments:

  1. I will surely try this....it is my favorite of all time....it may be dangerous to have it available at all times!!!...but I will be patient and wait for the 310 degrees :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin