Friday, January 29, 2010

Banana Cupcakes with Vanilla Pastry Cream

Banana Cupcakes with Pastry Cream

To end the month of January, which I have dubbed "Baked" month, I present to you these delicious Banana Cupcakes with Vanilla Pastry Cream Frosting. Think Banana Cream Pie in a cupcake...so so good!

Other fantastic Baked recipes I've made:
Root Beer Fudge Cupcakes

Banana Cupcakes with Vanilla Pastry Cream
from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito

For the Cupcakes:
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening at room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 4)
1/2 cup buttermilk

For the Vanilla Pastry Cream
3 cups half-and-half
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Make the pastry cream:
In a medium saucepan, bring the half-and-half to a simmer and keep warm. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt together until the mixture is pale, about one minute. Whisk half of the half-and-half into the egg yolk mixture, then pour the egg mixture back into the pot with the remaining half-and-half. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thickened and boiling, about 6-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla. Strain the pastry cream through a fine-mesh sieve into a container. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pastry cream to prevent a skin from forming. Chill at least one hour, overnight is better.

Make the cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with paper liners.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a large bowl and set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and shortening together on medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl, add the eggs, and beat until just combined. Scrape down the bowl again and add the bananas, beating until just combined. Turn the mixer to low. Add the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Remove the bowl from the mixer and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula, giving the mixture a final stir to ensure it's combined.
Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove them from the pans and cool completely.

Assemble the cupcakes:
Place the vanilla pastry cream in a plastic disposable piping bag or a zip top gallon sized bag. Cut the end of the bag so that the opening is about a half inch in diameter. Pipe a dollop onto the cupcake (alternatively spoon a dollop onto the cupcake) and garnish with a dried banana slice.

13 comments:

  1. At the risk of repeating myself: YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the banana slice on top. I have a Martha Stewart recipe that I've had earmarked to make and I never have. Maybe I'll wait for you to make it! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never thought to make them like banana cream pie by adding the pastry creme. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I'm not the biggest banana fan. I sort of go in and out of "like" with them, depending on the last banana I ate (if it was bad, then I stay away for a while). But CUPCAKES?! This may turn the tide for me, because overripe bananas taste beautiful, but who can tolerate the texture? In the vehicle of a cupcake, I'm sold. (I still have to pick up the book. I'm seeing it everywhere on the nets!) Thanks for sharing.

    Anyway, I found you through TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

    Best,
    Casey
    Editor
    www.tastestopping.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cupcakes look beautiful! I'm not a big banana fan, but my hubby is. I'm sure he'd love for me to make these for him.

    Glad I stumbled upon your site... Everything looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So weird, I only just read this post after returning home from delivering to my local coffee shop (I run a small wholesale bakery in the UK) What did I deliver?? This exact recipe! I too adore the Baked book. I made one change though. Instead of cupcakes, I made one big cake in a 10 inch pan & sandwiched it with the pastry cream instead. Worked like a dream (obviously took about an hour to cook though!) Highly recommended, book & cakes, yum! Lovely blog, I really enjoy it thanks xo Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer Juniper - I miss the soul sisters! If we ever get together again, I'l make them for us!

    Jen @ MKA - thank you! I love your site too!

    Mozart's Girl - It's funny you bake this in a pan...I was thinking of trying the same thing because you almost have to eat the cupcakes with a fork anyway - and don't you think it would be good if you made a Boston Cream Pie with the banana cake, pastry cream, and some chocolate glaze on top??? Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great ccool cake , thanks for the details

    ReplyDelete
  9. We MUST get together again!!!!!! And I do think I need to get "BAKED"....I haven't gotten a new cookbook in forever....let alone I've never gotten one just for BAKING!!! Do they have it at Barnes and Noble???

    ReplyDelete
  10. treat girl - I'm sure you can still find it at B&N, but many times Amazon is cheaper and you get free shipping if you spend $25 and you don't have to leave the house! And you can always borrow my copy if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow... these look amazing!! All of your creations do. Those coconut cupcakes..wow! (and such a cute green plate they are on!)

    God bless-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh that looks delicious! Love the all-in-one combo. No more messy pie slices :o)

    Found your blog through a link on Tish Boyle's blog. Nice blog you got. Will be visiting again soon :o) Please feel free to visit mine too :o)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin