Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hockey Cookies and a Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Hockey Cookies

A friend asked me to make these hockey jersey cookies for her son, Cole, who was turning 11. They turned out really good but I had to laugh because they looked a lot like the puffy shirt from Seinfeld before the colored icing was applied - not exactly the tough hockey look I was going for! But add a little red and black and they came together nicely.

Hockey Cookies

Last week, I was also asked to make a chocolate chip cookie cake for my friend's daughter's birthday.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

I took my basic chocolate chip cookie recipe and pressed all the dough into a parchment-lined and greased 14" straight-sided All-Clad saute pan, baked it at 375 until it looked nicely browned and done in the center. It was thicker and definitely better tasting than the cookie cakes you buy at the store and I was told it was delicious and the kids loved it. The flowers and butterflies were made of colored and rolled fondant to match the plates and napkins for the party. The outlining decoration was made of vanilla Swiss Buttercream icing. I didn't have ideal lighting for this photo, but you get the picture! Happy Birthday Cole and Julia!

9 comments:

  1. Those Hockey Jersey's are amazing! My kids don't know how lucky they are to have been treated by you in one way or another!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! That episode of Seinfeld is THE funniest!!! Cute cookies.....and I'll be doing that cookie cake too.....my kiddos love them! Just stopping by to get the ingredients for the chocolate peanut butter crispy bars...I want to make them this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how adorable these are. All these little kids probably can't get enough of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. treat girl - please tell me how your peanut butter crispies turned out!

    Irina - Yes, I have to say I'm pretty popular when carrying a large tray of goodies into a room! It's one of the reasons I love to bake - it makes people happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfections!! Way to go... that is NOT as easy cookie to make!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very curious to know where you found a jersey cookie cutter! Your work and detail are fantastic!! Love the cookie-gram cake too... Happy baking!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerri,
      I didn't have a jersey cutter, so I found an image online and traced the image onto cardboard to make a template (you can also use plastic from a lid of sour cream or yogurt to make the template). Then use the template to cut around the shape using a paring knife. Make sure the dough is cold when you are cutting to make it easier. It's not as easy as using a cookie cutter, but sometimes it's the only solution!

      Good Luck!
      Deanna

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin