Saturday, August 14, 2010

Special Fudgy Brownies

Brownies

It's been 4 weeks since we moved into our new house and 3 weeks since I got my new stove. I worked like crazy to get our kitchen unpacked - the necessities at least. 

The rest of the house is going a little slower. Well, because things like yummy fudgy brownies get in the way. Can you blame me? I had these brownies on the brain ever since Tish Boyle blogged about them in her post for Chocolate Caramel Brownie Chunk Ice Cream. (I have some of these brownies tucked away in my freezer ready to be mixed into some homemade ice cream too!)

These are very delicious and rich, almost like eating a bar of pure chocolate. You only need a little piece to be satisfied - unless you're unpacking boxes too numerous to count, and then you'll need a larger piece - and you'll need to smear some creamy peanut butter on top - you know, for extra energy and protein.

These brownies are on your brain now, aren't they? You'll have to stop what you're doing right now and go bake some! Sorry 'bout that!

Brownies


Very Special Fudgy Brownies
from Sweet Gratitude by Judith Sutton
makes 48 brownies

Note: I halved this recipe and used an 8x8-inch pan. I used my favorite Callebaut chocolate.

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
6 ounces high-quality unsweetened chocolate (such as Ghirardelli), coarsely chopped
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 large eggs
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped or cut into shards about 1/4 inch wide by 1/2 inch long, or 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks or large semisweet chocolate chips (omit for a slightly less intense brownie)

1. Put a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang on the two narrow ends.


2. Combine the butter, unsweetened chocolate, and 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate in a medium heavy saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove from the heat. 


3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and both sugars with an electric mixer on low speed just until smooth. Beat in the salt. Beat in the melted chocolate mixture, then beat in the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the flour in two additions (the batter will be thick). Stir in the chopped chocolate.


4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until the top is set but still soft and the edges are puffed and just beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan; a toothpick inserted in the center will come out still gooey (be brave!—underbaking the brownies is one of the secrets to their fudgy texture). Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.


5. For the neatest cuts, refrigerate the brownies for about 20 minutes before slicing. Using the foil, lift the brownies out of the pan. Carefully peel off the foil, and put the brownie slab on a cutting board. With a large sharp knife, cut the brownies into 48 squares.

17 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a recipe with the consistency of your brownies for a long time and now here is your trick of undercooking them...GENIOUS! bookmarked waiting to be made

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg! This does look fudgey!! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH THESE LOOK SO GOOD! I'm going to bake them PRONTO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look awesome, fudgy brownies are definitely my preference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How in the world do you cut your brownies and bar cookies so nicely??? I'm sure your answer involves more patience than I have when faced with a big fudgy pan of brownies!

    I want to see your house! Unpack girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love, love, love these, and yours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Callebaut is my absolute favorite chocolate. These brownies look amazing. I'm bookmarking this recipe now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, fudge + brownies = heaven! These are a definite must!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just three letters.......OMG!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look delicious. And sound delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look absolutely incredible! Have you ever tried white chocolate brownies? They're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, my friend and colleague Tish Boyle sent me this link--thanks for featuring my brownies! Your blog looks great. And I see that you are in Pittsburgh--I grew up there, but haven't lived there for many years. Thanks again.--Judith Sutton (www.sweetgratitude.com)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous. They look like the perfect fudgy brownie. Love that second photo too, with the paper and twine. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. can I use unsweetened cocoa powder instead of the unsweetened chocolate bar, as we do not get unsweetened chocolate bars here.. and if yes, then how much of it can I use for this recipe ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not tried this, but I found on the web that for every ounce of unsweetened chocolate, you can melt 1 tablespoon of butter and stir in 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and add it to your recipe. Let me know how it turns out if you try it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin