Sunday, May 29, 2016

Ramp and Watercress Soup


I found myself with ramps and watercress in my fridge thanks to my Penn's Corner Spring Fever CSA membership.  Not sure what to do with them, I consulted the world wide web.  Cooking with unfamiliar ingredients is a snap with so much information at my fingertips.  I found out that watercress is a healthy cruciferous vegetable (like kale and broccoli) and that ramps are a foraged delicacy only growing for a short time in the Spring.  I only had to pick up some leeks and I was in business. Perfect for a cool Spring day, this soup was delicious and just what my body was craving - a healthy warm creamy soup with flavors that meld perfectly.  I enjoyed it with a dollop of plain yogurt mixed in and that made the soup even better.  



Ramp and Watercress Soup
Adapted from Sweet Paul
Serves 3-4

2 tablespoons butter
3 leeks, thinly sliced
1 cup ramps, thinly sliced
1 cup water
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup milk
1 large potato, peeled and cut into cubes
1 bunch watercress, washed good
1 tablespoon grated parmesan
salt
pepper
pinch cayenne pepper or to taste, optional
plain yogurt for garnish
  • Melt the butter in a large saucepan.  Add leeks and ramps and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.  Add water, stock, milk and potato.
  • Bring to a boil and let the soup simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
  • Add watercress and parmesan, cook 3 more minutes.
  • Transfer to a blender and puree into a smooth soup.
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Top each bowl of soup with a dollop of plain yogurt and swirl it in with a knife for garnish.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin