Friday, July 1, 2011

Displaying your Cupcakes



So you've made your cupcakes, now how do you display them ? Here are a couple of ideas to get you started.

This black and white display uses styrofoam cake forms for each base layer and smaller rectangular pieces in between for height (one pillar between the first and second tiers and three pillars between the second and third tiers). Each styrofoam piece is wrapped in white paper like you would wrap a gift, and then a ribbon is glued around the circumference of each tier. The pieces are glued together for stability. The numbers and letters were black felt outlined in white and were purchased at a local party supply store.

A classic and elegant display.


I made this black and red cupcake tower out of white cake boards and a large piece of white foam board. This tower holds a few more cupcakes than the tower above.



There may be a better way to construct this, but here's what I did. I cut the foam board with a ruler and utility knife (use a cutting mat for this) into 4-inch wide strips and cut two pieces for each tier 4" shorter than the tier they were to support. For example, the supports for the 10" tier would be cut into 6" by 4" wide strips. I cut a 2" slit at the halfway mark on each support piece and then fitted them together at right angles to make the supports. (For a more permanent display, the supports might be better if made out of plywood or something similar.)


The sizes of cake rounds I used were 8", 10", 12", 14", and 16". I used a glue gun to glue the supports to the cake boards and also to glue the ribbons around each tier. The wooden letters, numbers and 4 skewers were spray-painted red. I glued the numbers to the skewers with hot glue and pushed the skewers down into the top tier, securing with hot glue behind the top tier supports.

I hope these ideas will help you get started! Feel free to email me with any questions you might have.

4 comments:

  1. Great ideas and yummy looking cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the BEST!!! How thrilled I would be to have this for me at my party!!! YUMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so pretty! I'll share with my mother-in-law who is a retired caterer, but still sells cakes, cupcakes, etc. to friends.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin