Monday, March 30, 2009

Cream-Filled Chocolate Sandwiches



Normally I like to go grocery shopping, but I've been putting it off for over a week. I've been waiting for today when all the kids are back in school after a 2-week Spring break. If you've ever taken the kids to the grocery store, you know what it's like..."Mommy, can we get these ___________??" You fill in the blank...puddings, cookies, yogurts with candy toppings, caramel apples, Oreo cookies, caramel popcorn. My response is often "We can make that at home!" (I want my kids to know that the large companies are not the only ones who know how to make these treats and that often, homemade is better tasting and better for you.) And their response is usually "Uggghhh! You always say that!" I'm actually hoping the kids will forget about the treat by the time we get home, and sometimes they do, but my son wouldn't let me forget that I said we could make real Oreo cookies - from scratch. I don't think he thought it could be done. We found a recipe and got to work. They were really good and I think better than Oreos. The cookies were crunchy and the filling was perfect. I rest my case.


Cream-Filled Chocolate Sandwiches
from Martha Stewart's Cookies


1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for flattening cookies
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg, room temperature
Vanilla cream filling (recipe follows)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Into a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg; beat to combine. With mixer of low speed, gradually add flour mixture; continue beating until dough is well combined.
Using a 1 1/4-inch scoop, drop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Dip the bottom of a glass in sugar; press the glass bottom onto the cookies to flatten them to about 1/8 inch thick.
Transfer to oven and bake until cookie are firm, 10-12 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks to cool completely.
Place cream filling in a pastry bag fitted with a coupler, and pipe about 1 tablespoon filling onto the flat side of half of the cookies. Place the remaining cookies on top and gently press to squeeze filling to the edges. Alternatively, spread about 1 tablespoon of filling on the cookies with a small offset spatula. Filled cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 days.


Vanilla Cream Filling (I made 1/2 of this recipe and had enough to fill all the cookies)
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract


With an electric mixer, cream butter and shortening until well combined. On low speed, gradually add confectioners' sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and beat to combine. Set aside at room temperature until ready to use.

2 comments:

  1. Smitten Kitchen always talks about her homemade oreos, I will have to check if the recipe is the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aawwwhh....Miss!!!!! These look just divine!!! I know I would put a big dent in those after the kiddos went to bed :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin